What you’ll need
- Shrimp: You will need some raw large/ or jumbo sized shrimp if you can find some around you. Frozen or fresh works, make sure they are peeled and deveined shrimp, preferably with tails off, but you can easily remove the tails yourself.
- Mixed Vegetables: I used Zucchini, Squash, Bell peppers and purple onion. I feel like this combination easily cooks together evenly. You can always add other types of veggies that will cook around the same time as these.
- Spices: You will need just a few basic spices for this recipe. I like the combination of black pepper, salt, cumin powder, paprika, and chili seasoning (the normal chili dish seasoning, not chili as in hot chili powder).
- Garlic and Lime: You will need some fresh garlic and lime juice for the marinade. This boosts up the flavor like nothing else. Be sure to use fresh garlic, not canned or jarred garlic as well as fresh lime juice.
How to make Shrimp and Vegetable
- Marinate the Shrimp: Pat dry the shrimp with paper towel and place in a bowl. Add in the marinade ingredients and mix well to coat the shrimp. Set aside.
- Prepare the veggies: Wash and dry the veggies. Cube/chop them and set aside.
- Cook the veggies: In a large non stick pan, sauté with veggies with olive oil until tender. set aside.
- Cook the shrimp: In the same skillet, sauté the shrimp with some olive oil over high heat until fully cooked. This about 6-8 minutes, flipping the shrimp pieces half way through or mixing them a couple of times while cooking.
- Finish up: Bring the veggies back into the skillet and cook together with the shrimp for a couple more minutes.
- Use frozen raw shrimp instead of frozen cooked shrimp. They have a less chewy texture.
- Use large or jumbo size shrimp if you can. They have the most flavor.
- Always use fresh vegetables not frozen for best results.
- You can leave the shrimp to marinate for up to 30 mins, but it’s not essential.
- Cut your veggies into similar sizes, so they cook evenly.
- Best veggie choices to add in: Broccoli, asparagus, mushroom, and sugar snap peas.
- Add some red pepper flakes to add a little zing to the dish.